Wednesday 27 April 2011

Domains

Normally I don't watch tv. Occasionally I eavesdrop an ad or a show while I am on my laptop. So I get snippets of some horrible ads about life insurance or home refinance loans and remortgaging but sometimes I see some entertaining or surprising ads. Some ads I even feel a chauvanistic pride in, like the portal 2 ads which have recently come about. (portal 2 is an awesome game btw, I just finished co op with a friend last night). One uninteresting but surprising ad I saw was an ad for godaddy.com for free webhosting and domains etc.

What a new world we live in... I remember a time when ads for games and domains and anything to do with the net were non existent. Times have changed though, there is a new world out there and territory has been claimed and is continuing to be claimed. I'm surprised I haven't seen ads for yahoo webhosting on tv yet.

What fascinates me is how the word "domain" came to refer to online territory. Whenever I think of the word domain I get flashbacks to junior high school maths. Dictionary.com defines domain thus "An area of territory owned or controlled by a ruler or government: "the southwestern French domains of the Plantagenets".
 Very true in my opinion.

 Only I'm not a ruler of my own domain, technically google is. That's cool. I don't mind. It's a mutually beneficial relationship as opposed to serfdom, which describes my relationship with the Australian government.

Unfortunately the goverment may become the ruler of my domain one day. Internet censorship could lead down that slippery slope. But for now, we are all happy rulers and tenants of our own little domains, living (relatively) free.

10 comments:

  1. very intersting. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet censorship would suck massively but it would be very very hard to carry out to the extent that we completely lose our free speech (I hope)

    Nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Internet censorship doesnt really seem likely anywhere else than in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intelligent posts, on my blogspot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Domains domains domains. I always here so much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahah, I loved the comparison of having google host your blog as partial serfdom. I love my domain, I'm an' effin' land-internet owner, and damn does it feel good :D

    Love this blog, will be back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. internet censorship would be my worst nightmare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, I unshackled myself from the .blogspot as soon as I made my site, it's cheap and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I moved here a year ago and never even bothered plugging in my tv. I can watch the few shows I do like on the net which is ironic considering your observation of increased net marketing on tv lolz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Internet censorship scares me. Right now, the whole battle could go either one of two ways....

    ReplyDelete