Thursday 28 April 2011

State Science

So I recently read a fellow bloggers post about lasers. In particular how many central european nations are investing heavily in experimental laser technology. One particular laser in development needs about 9 petawatts just to run.I was tempted to jokingly suggest that it was for laser hair removal for all those hairy central europeans, but I refrained. I am part Hungarian so I can't really comment.

Perhaps they should make a new laser in washington dc. I'm sure laser hair removal in washington dc would be popular, but then again maybe we should wait until the first woman president :P

On a more serious note, I think the US could stand to shift their spending towards science. Directly or indirectly by increasing university budgets. I think Australia could too. It's a downright shame our universities cannot keep up with corporate research. That and I would like to see Australia have the world's biggest laser.

18 comments:

  1. Lol, well we only have one seriouse university and they don't have any lasers xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder when our country would do these stuff -.-

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post btw. very informative. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the US navy experimenting with laser weaponry at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will have to wait quite long for woman president. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you talking about the laser that can rip holes in space?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, we should spend more on science.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only way they'll spend money on science is if it is for military use/national security, probably through an outlet like DARPA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative, thanks! +Followed

    ReplyDelete
  10. they probably are for laser hair removal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully I'll never need it ~.~

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've always been weary about the use of lasers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live in northern Virginia, so I'm pretty close to D.C. A lot of cosmetic surgery is done here, and laser hair removal is VERY common. It's almost sad how laser technology is used for something so superficial instead of progressive science.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world's biggest laser is a great goal for any country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always an advocate for spending more on science. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as they dont keep selling those dangerous green lasers to kids around the world Im fine with the research.

    Wouldnt surprise me if a lazer that can melt skin will hit the internet stores etc soon :(

    Interesting subject though

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laser technology is quite useful, tons of things you can use it for. Science FTW

    ReplyDelete
  18. For newest news you have to go to see world-wide-web and on the web I found this site as a finest
    website for newest updates.

    Feel free to surf to my blog; silkn flash and go review

    ReplyDelete